Friday, August 3, 2012

Mount Rushmore

Mount Rushmore! I remember visiting when I was in junior high, or high school maybe. It sure has changed over the years. Well, not the sculpture, but the property and how they've made it more of a tourist stop with history rather than just looking at the presidents.

Our plan was to head towards Mount Rushmore in hopes that we'd find a restaurant to stop at. When we came around the back side we noticed that wasn't going to be the case. We're here, might as well stop. Mom kept telling us that we should go there at dusk to see the program and the lighting of the presidents, so we did.

Nick stood quietly listening to the program and honoring his country. Seth disregarded our suggestion to wear a hoodie and he was restless from being chilly. It was interesting listening to Nick talk about how each president made their way atop a large rock formation. I learn a lot about the subject I never appreciated growing up. History. What is the relevance? It's where we came from and one day where we will return. The older I get, the more I see the relevance in that statement.

Another adventurous day in South Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment