Sunday, June 7, 2020

Rescue Road Trip

After adopting Lena, I offered to help Emotional Rescue with transports from Eden Prairie to Hastings. Shannon, the founder and heart of Emotional Rescue asked if any volunteers would be willing to pick up a newly paralyzed dog from Hot Springs, South Dakota. Road trip?! Heck ya I jumped on that.

Seth and I headed out in the early afternoon to sight see a bit before the 9am pickup the following morning. Seth drove all the way to the Badlands at which point I took over some I knew the roads and was just there a year ago with Nick and the other three kids. (Seth stayed back to go to the races). We took in the sheer peace and quiet of the deserted Badlands. We were a week or two into the COVID-19 outbreak and the start of the Shelter in Place orders.



I wasn’t too concerned with the drive and exposure. It was a great way to have alone time with my boy.


Our trip from the Badlands through the Pine Ridge and Rosebud Indian Reservations was quite interesting. The sun was almost setting and effectively blinding us from the road. Washboards vibrates the suburban and soupy mud bogs pulled us all over the dirt road. 

We booked a single night at Bluebird Mesa through Airbnb. It was such a cute place. I’d love to go back. No contact whatsoever. Door was unlocked, keys on the table.

Large windows offering panoramic views. Spacious bathroom and a kitchenette.



The next morning we picked up Anuk. A young dog who sustained so much in her lifetime. From recently becoming paralyzed, old gun shot wounds, trauma healing at different stages. She was scared.


From there, we headed for home. 

Anuk has since adjusted to her new wheels and is even starting to show movement in her hind legs.


How extremely gratifying! I can’t wait to go on another rescue road trip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment