Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rugged Maniac

It all started as a joke. I received a LivingSocial deal about participating in a 5k mud race. I forwarded the email to my boss, Amy, and told her she should sign up. Before I knew it, majority of my team at work signed up. We weren't quite sure what we just did, and often dreaded the thought of the day coming.

We picked up matching tanktops and fun knee high socks to distinguish us as a team. We looked pretty good. Before and after covered in mud.

Myself, Lori Johnson, Molly Spiess, Amy Parmley, and Loriann Lane

We were Team Mudsuckers!

I brought Seth, Sam and Reisa Ross (to watch them while we ran)

I've never participated in a race before and was very nervous at failing. There were walls I'd have to climb or scale, barbed wire I'd have to crawl underneath - while in sloppy cold mud a foot deep. I'd have to run up and down four foot trenches, pull myself up from an mud pool using only a rope in a slippery plastic tube. Whether I thought I could do it, or not, I put myself into that situation. I didn't have to participate in any of the obstacles, there was always the option of walking around it and meeting my team on the other side. I couldn't do that. It felt like giving up. I wasn't going to give up. I was going to push myself, and I did! I made it! I went over, under and through every obstacle there was. We didn't do too great, not good at all I guess. Overall it took my team 1 hour 15 minutes and 05.8 seconds to finish.We weren't there to make the fastest time. We definately didn't train for it. I ran three days a week a few months prior then hurt my knee by running at an angle in the ditch. The week before the 5k I started running again. Something that I felt good about and will need to continue in the spring.

I would do this again... I accomplised something that I never thought I could. Next time, Nick comes with.






No comments:

Post a Comment