When I met Dave we spent a lot of time on his dirt bike at Brian O'Kane's family farm just south of Wanamingo, Minnesota. Each year we'd add a new trail to our miles of existing trails. It was so much fun but I wanted my own toy to ride. After our wedding we bought a Honda 300ex Sport with our wedding money. I know, signs of responsibility at its finest.
Our life became riding. Practically every weekend we'd load up the four-wheeler and dirt bike and head south. We'd ride the trails which led through ravines, rivers and tough, heart-stopping obstacles. One of those was called "The Wall" for many years I watched Dave and Brian go up it as I sat at the bottom. The thing paranoid me! Finally I tried it and was lucky it didn't end any worse. 3/4 of the way up is a lip. Silly me let of the gas to drop my front tires back to the ground. That's when I lost momentum and started sliding back. Soon my front wheels were above me and then behind me. It bounced off the tree I had just passed and tumbled to the bottom of the hill. I walked away with a lot of skin missing on my left shoulder. Still to this day, 11 years later, my scar is there. It's easy to see as it's the freckle-less part of my shoulder.
We continued to cover ourselves with mud until the fall of 2004. Spending time with my baby boy was far more important.
Since our separation in 2007 I haven't rode much. I was excited to be moving south hoping there were trails I could ride. None really as all the trails around here are in the winter through farm fields. Ditch riding is legally limited to a very short time. We can't be disturbing the pheasants who nest in the ditch. Ugh!
I've contemplated selling my four wheeler for other toys more family friendly over the years but it's hard because I have so many fond memories with my four-wheeler. When I ride, I feel so free.
Do we upgrade to a snowmobile? A four-wheeler with a plow for our driveway? A boat? Or just use the money to pay off some debt to get a nicer house? Boat!

No comments:
Post a Comment