Friday, May 20, 2011

My Little Shopper

Today we ran to Target to pick up a birthday present for Sam's friend Marea. Sam was eager to pick out a present for her. "I know exactly what Mae Mae wants for her birthday!" Sam insisted on pushing the cart around the store. We walked up and down every isle at least twice. She started off pointing to everything from Barbies, horses, Zhu Zhu Pets, Bratz dolls, My Little Ponies and so on. We told her to look at everything first and then pick her favorite for Marea. Soon nothing seemed good enough. We left the toy isles and headed to the crafts... jackpot! In a matter of moments she picked out a bracelet making kit and some cute animals to paint. Next stop, cards; Sam wanted to get a Hello Kitty card that sings, well that was not an easy task. She looked at a few and her mind was made up when she found the fuzzy Hello Kitty face. With a slight joyful grunt, she threw the card in the cart and carried on pushing the cart throughout the store. When it was time to checkout, she wouldn't allow either of us to help her unload the cart onto the belt. Once the cashier bagged everything Sam grabbed each bag and placed them nicely into the shopping cart. As I reached for the cart I was quickly cut off. "No mom, these are my things, I paid for them (with a giggle) and I can bring them to the car." I responded with "I bet you drove your car here too." A simple yup was all she needed to respond with.



Once we got to the door we were each going to grab a bag. But oh no... Sam was the shopper here and she'd carry all three bags herself. They were a little heavy so we helped her lift them high enough out of the cart to where she could manage them herself. I felt odd walking out of the store with my five year old daughter lugging all the bags herself. Nick finally offered to carry the two bags of cat food at least. Sam gave in and let him carry them. As he was untangling the mess her poor hand started turning purple. She let him carry two but not the third. When we got to the car she made sure that nobody else loaded the bags into the trunk. Once all three bags were in, she huffed and wiped her hands against each other. A sense of accomplishment.


2 comments:

  1. That picture is just Sammy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say "ditto" - Love the picture! I cannot believe how grown up she's getting!

    I'm so excited you have a blog. Now you will become a comment junkie too!

    ReplyDelete