Saturday, May 28, 2011

Yard work or shelter?

Today I was on my own. Nick was at his Dad's working on fixing the broken sub-frame on the Dodge Neon while I stayed home to do yard work. The sun was still shining so I figured I'd make an attempt at mowing the lawn. I got about half way done when it started to sprinkle, but I carried on. I wasn't going to stop until it started pouring. I could always throw it in 6th gear and race to the opened shed for shelter. As I blinked I thought I saw a flash. No... that isn't lightening. BAM! Ah man! Off I go to the shed to park the mower. The rain slowed to a drizzle so I decided to spread the six bags of pine nuggets around the trees and edging of the house. After about 10 minutes and not another flash of lightening I turned back on the ole' Murry and finished up the lawn. Next task - weed whipping. It's so nice to have a freshly cut/whipped lawn to look at; the bright pine nuggets topped it off. I had a few lawn ornaments, bird baths, feeders, etc to put out when the sirens went off. In Randolph our sirens go off at 6:00 PM every day. When I heard them go off today, I had to stop and think... what time is it? My neighbor is still mowing his lawn, it can't be six though. Nope... 3:15 PM. They sky looked blue with a few clouds so I figured I could quick finish up my work. Less than five minutes later I was done and headed inside. As I walked inside, I looked at my pant legs. Grass clippings from weed whipping and dirt from emptying the bags of pine nuggets all over my pants - they were glued to my legs. Since the sky doesn't look so bad I'll jump in the shower to clean up quick. As I turned off the water I heard something outside... Sirens were going off again! Oh great! I quickly got dressed, not knowing what it looked like outside, grabbed some tennis shoes, my purse, cordless phone, my cell phone and headed to the basement to turn on the TV. There were reports of wall clouds and funnel clouds in Farmington/Castle Rock area. Ever since the recent strings of tornados this year I haven't been too happy about the lack of a shelter in our house and I have come to realize that I'm not invincible. A tornado can hit my house and leave me like those who live in Minneapolis or Joplin, MO. I could go under the stairs but if the hot water heater goes, I will get get some nasty burns. I could crawl in the big chest freezer we don't use, but the prop we used to hold the door open fell out and some spores were popping up at the bottom. I could go in the basements walk-in-closet but Nick's tools are in there and they could be some deadly weapons. I'm sure my thought process would have been different if Nick was home. I called him to let him know what was coming towards Hampton in case he didn't know. Him and his dad knew. Yet they continued to work away in the tin shed. Why I grabbed my purse - I have no clue. Maybe I didn't want to lose my check card or drivers license. What is even worse is that I contemplated finishing yard work and took a shower after sirens went off. Good things my kids weren't home - what a bad example I was setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment