Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Boy's First Ride

After a busy Tuesday we were all ready for our 8pm bedtime. That was until Seth saw Nick in his "work" clothes and realized that Nick was going to Grandpa Jim's to work on the Neon some more. Seth wanted to go with but knew it was time for him to jump in the shower and get ready for bed. He wasn't very happy with missing out on guy time to fix the Neon. I grabbed Seth a pair of his work jeans and tossed them to him. He caught them and continued to fuss that he couldn't go with. I told him to put them on and then it clicked! I get to go with! We told him that because tomorrow is the last day of 1st Grade he could celebrate a night early. Nick went into the basement and grabbed the kids snowmobile helmet and goggles. Seth put it on but wasn't sure why; until Nick grabbed his motorcycle helmet. Seth's face LIT up with excitement! I was so happy for him, yet at the same time so scared. I trust Nick with me on the back of his bike, but it is different because I am confident that I know how to hold on and when to reposition myself. Seth on the other hand has fallen asleep on snowmobiles and four-wheelers. How could I be certain he wouldn't fall asleep on the back of a motorcycle, that he would hold on tight and that he wouldn't move around and knock Nick off balance. I went outside with my boys and made sure Seth's shoe laces were tied tight (which they weren't), tried my best to educate him on being a good passenger and kissed my son goodbye. They drove off, and I kicked myself... Where was my camera? I missed capturing the moment my son has been waiting for.

As I was working on typing up this day, I heard a rumble and knew what made that rumbling noise. My boys were back! I grabbed my cell phone and raced outside to snap a returning home picture. Unfortunately it was 10:15pm and very dark out.


Seth's First Harley Davidson Ride - 7 years old


No comments:

Post a Comment