
Since I can remember my family has always cut down our own Christmas Tree. It was always fun running around looking for trees and playing in the snow. Since I've become the parent, it still remains something that I will forever do with my family, yet drives me crazy because you focus your attention on the flaws of each tree instead of what you can do to make it shine. I've compromised in the past with having an artificial tree every other year, but it isn't the same. Those days are gone. Cutting down a trees allows your family to create memories that will last a lifetime and the smell of a real tree fills the house.

As of this moment, I am due in four days. Buying a pre-cut tree would be easier, but I would be in turn taking away those memories from my children. Off we go tree hunting! I made a huge effort to not be so critical about the trees I am looking at. The kids run to trees that look like Charlie Brown trees or are mammoth sized, lopsided, or just plain old sad. It never takes long before they become distracted and just wanna run in the snow.
I was having a lot of fun playing with our new SLR camera.
I'm quite impressed with the amazing difference between our old camera and this one. It definately makes taking pictures a lot more fun.

The last two years of tree hunting at Hampton Hills Tree Farm have been later than my family tradition started off. We have always gone the weekend following Thanksgiving. Well, since Dave's weekend always lands following Thansgiving we usually have to push it off until the first week in December. You can tell that a lot of trees have been cut down in the week time from when the farm opens. It has also snowed the past two years which makes Nick's job not as fun, for him at least. The kids and I always find enjoyment in watching him clear the trees for examination.

"Here Nick, come shake this one. hmmm.... how about this one..." I had him shake a couple extra just so I can play with the different types of camera settings. He is such a good sport about it too.
We finally came upon a tree that looked somewhat decent. That and I also came to realize that no tree is perfect. We can make it shine once it gets home. Let's take this one...

Seth did the honor of cutting the tree down and since I am carrying our newest member of the family I was excempt from having to awkwardly carry the tree.
We took the tree to the other end of the farm to have it shaken, tied to the roof and pay. Next stop is five miles down the road to our home.
The kids and I always make a game out of this time a year. From Coates south we guess how many vehicles we will see on our way home with Christmas Trees on them. We can easily reach 50 or more vehicles within a fifteen minute drive if we're playing on the right weekend.

Once we get home, we'll trim the trunk and put it in the stand. Once it warms up, it will be time to decorate the tree and create more memories.
Next year well have another little helper who will tumble on the snow when not being pulled in a sled.
No comments:
Post a Comment