Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I'm going back... Pt. 2

I returned to college in 2006 to finish up a few classes before applying to the Inver Hills Community College Accelerated LPN to RN program, which requires a summer session and two semesters to become an RN. In December of 2007 I needed to take a break to focus on my life and the upcoming stresses I knew were approaching.

I have often thought about how I need to go back, but never took that step in the college doors or picked up the phone to schedule a meeting with a counselor. Four years later I have taken the initiative to go back and finish what I once started. My initial life plan was to get my RN, obtain my Masters and then go on to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.

Since having Addy, my plans have shifted back to working in obstetrics. This time, I think I'd like to be a Certified Nurse Midwife.

Monday I will register for my Summer classes and depending on what the Dean of Nursing says, I'll either be retaking Exploring Biology (since I took it last in the Fall of 2006 and you need to have taken it within the last five years), or I'll be taking Medical Dosage and Beginning Digial Photography to satisfy my Arts/Humanities course requirement.

This fall I'll apply for the accelerated program starting Summer of 2013 and if all goes well, I'll be a RN by May of 2014. Masters by 2016 and a CNM by 2018. Addy will be 6, Sam will be almost 13 and Seth will be 14. Man that seems like forever away...



1 comment:

  1. Awesome and ambitious plans! After having a baby with the HE midwives, I can totally understand the shift in calling! Seeing as how I don't do body fluids, I think I'll stay with the computer side of healthcare, but Congratulations on returning to your plan!!

    ReplyDelete