Friday, February 9, 2018

You’re Going to Embarrass Me

Today Sam’s team was invited to play hockey at The Shinny in Hastings. It’s a private rink in the back yard of another hockey players yard from the boys team. They have two warming trailers and a zamboni to resurface the ice. The parents put together some pizza and snacks after practice today. Since I was on the ice with Sam yesterday, I was excited to get back out and hone in on my skating skills in preparation for the parents vs. kids game next week.



Sam was excited to go until I shared that Adelynn and I planned to skate as well. “No mom, you’re going to embarrass me!” Excuse me?! I can skate and I’m better at stopping. Way to turn that knife after stabbing me. I then felt the need to teach Sam what embarrassment really was.


On the way into the rink for practice I made her hold my hand. Then I started skipping and swinging her arm. All the way through the lobby. A few teammates said I should skate and they wouldn’t be embarrassed. She was a bit upset I was making a scene. Oh well.


On the way to The Shinny she texted me this...





I held off for most of the night not skating. Then ended up playing, or aimlessly skating around on the rink during a game. Occasionally I’d get the puck passed to me by her coach but I never amounted to anything. I’m going to blame my inadequate skills on using a righty stick and I feel more comfortable with left.


Adelynn skated all night and had so much fun. She told others how she doesn’t need to score a goal. It’s all about having fun. What a great attitude.


Sam played goalie in full gear. She did great. Let me call out that I scored on her twice. She’ll deny it.

No comments:

Post a Comment