Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm Watching You

Although we only live a block from school, Seth and Sam haven't been allowed to walk home without Nick or I with them. There are a couple reasons why I don't let them walk home alone.
  • They don't have a key to the house and what if I am running late getting home.
  • They have to cross Dickman which leads out of town and cars don't really obey the 30mph. Even though there is a pedestrian cross-walk.
  • Sam is too worried about getting hit by a car.
  • Seth isn't worried enough about getting hit by a car.
  • There are people out there who are not honest, and I can't imagine living with my child being kidnapped. Wondering if they are alive and if they are being treated okay. Too much anxiety!
Nick and I knew we needed to figure out something for when Adelynn was born as I didn't want to bundle her up on cold winter days to either walk or drive up to the school, get the kids and come back. I mean I would if that was my only option. I thought about them taking a bus while I'm on maternity leave but didn't want to call the school since it seemed silly that we only live a block away. Seth was all for that idea. Instead we decided to ask our neighbor Kayla Taubman who is in 7th grade to walk the kids home.


Every so often I sit on my bed and watch out the window to see my babies coming home from school. Are they looking both ways? Do they have their hats and gloves on? Is Seth's coat zipped? (it never is). Do they have boots on? Nope... running through the snow and/or puddles with their shoes on. All I can do is shake my head and remind them about the rules... What do I get in return - "Our shoes will dry mom" Yes, yes they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment