Thursday, June 2, 2011

An Amazing Journey

It has been nine weeks since Nick and I discovered the amazing journey we were about to embark on. Today I am 13 weeks pregnant with our little one. What I can't get over, is the process that takes place within me. How little cells know where to go, how they multiply, transform and create such a beautiful little baby.

Our first ultrasound was on April 21, 2011 to confirm dates. My calculations gave us a due date of December 8, 2011. The ultrasound showed December 10, 2011. We were seven weeks pregnant. I wasn't sure what to expect on the screen. I definately wasn't expecting to see just a little bean. The ultrasound and confirmation that our baby was healthy was enough for us to feel okay sharing our news at our wedding reception on the 23rd. It was a little early to share, but family and friends were all together so we figured we would take advantage of telling everyone in person at the same time.

Nick told me how this was unfair because I've been through this before and know what to expect. He is so excited to be having his own baby. Seeing him smile - priceless.


Our second ultrasound was on May 5th (nine weeks) and was just to make sure our bean was healthy. It was amazing to see such changes in just two weeks. Our bean transformed into a sour patch kid. The ultrasound now showed a due date of December 8th - our original calculations and therefore our official date.


We have been lucky enough to of had a third ultrasound on June 2nd (13 weeks). This ultrasound was to check for downs syndrome and other neural tubular defects. Our sour patch kid transformed into a baby. S/he was sleeping and not very cooperative with his/her back to us. The sonographer and I tried to disturb baby's sleep in hopes of some better shots. We are going to have one sound sleeper! No matter how much I poked and pushed baby just would kick and go back to sleep. Stinker!


In the picture to the right s/he is hiding his/her face in my placenta, ankles crossed and enjoying some zzzz's. Look at those cute little toes! Seth and Sam both think the baby will be a boy. We'll see... sometime in December.

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! Isn't it amazing how quickly they look like a baby!! It is just incredible - I am so excited for you. And that is a smart baby - knows exactly where to lay his/her head: in the fluffy, soft placenta!

    ReplyDelete